Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Squishy Circuits

On Thursday, some of my Elementary Education peers and I decided to get some hands-on experience with squishy circuits.  We explored the two different types of Play-Doh provided, as well as the lights and other materials provided.  Through some trial-and-error, we decided this would be a great lesson to adapt to our future classrooms through teaching students about conductors and insulators (Play-Doh) and the sort of "electricity" so to speak that they create when mixed with circuits and wires.  I personally think this would be a valuable and fun lesson because I was honestly intrigued by the whole experience.  I remember learning about insulators and conductors in elementary school; however, I have no idea how I learned about it or what the relevance of those two things are.  A lesson like this would instantly grasp the students' attention and could even create some fun competition among the class pertaining to who could build a better structure with the Play-Doh, as well as cause all of the lights to turn on.
This activity would also serve as a solid basis for understanding of those particular terms.  Because something so hands-on like this would keep students interested, you could expand off of this and elaborate on other certain aspects of circuits (depending on the age of the kids).  This is just something to consider when choosing whether or not to adapt this lesson to your future classroom.  For me personally, I see this as an awesome way to get students interested in science and have fun doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment