Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Anna K's Personal Digital Citizenship & Responsibility Statement

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/df/a9/d1/dfa9d1b2244740dd7bb9da355c58e277.jpg
My Personal Digital Citizenship & Responsibility Statement:
In a world that is constantly going digital, I believe that it is important to realize that this digitalized world comes with its own way of navigation and responsibility. I will continue to have access to technology and be responsible with the various websites, apps, and devices I use. I will give each source of technology its own use (i.e. Facebook is just for the access to friends and family) to ensure my, and others, safety. I will be aware of the copyright laws on any content I may use in my personal and professional circles. I will give credit where credit is due because in return I would like the same of my resources. Overall, I will maintain a positive environment in the digital realm. I think it is always important to remember not to post anything you wouldn't tell everyone about. Therefore, staying positive and respectful on any of my websites, apps, and devices is the key to the respectfulness and care of others who may encounter my digital avenues.
Reflection:
I really enjoyed the pinterest page resources. The above picture is from pinterst. I enjoyed that recourse because there are many ways that it can be used in the classroom. Easy and quick sayings that can help me and my students remember how to be a digital citizen full of new responsibilities. I also enjoyed the Common Sense Media. It has downloadable material that can help teachers implement these ideas in their own classrooms. 
I used the ideas from the sites to create my statement. However, most of my statement stems from personal experience and belief. I think it's important that everyone defines their roles and responsibilities as a digital citizen because it allows them to hold themselves accountable for what they do in the digital world. The digital world can be seen as a reflection of the nondigital world. We have our own set of rules that keep ourselves and others safe, so why would it be any different in the social media and other digital world?

Since we, as teachers, have the responsibility to give our students the knowledge base to be successful in the "real" world, we also have the responsibility to give our students the knowledge base to be successful in the digital world as well. I believe that we can help our students through discussion that is either brought up by our students or relate-able to a lesson.

1 comment:

  1. I don't feel like I would amend it because I feel like my idea of "staying positive" on all my medias would encompass any "netiquette" ideas that I were stated in class. I feel like the discussion in class helped to shed more light on the need for some sort of digital citizenship awareness for students. I'm still confused as to what age is appropriate to start this training. I feel like my students (most likely 3rd and 4th grade) are all into either their own or someone elses Facebook/Instagram/Twitter. Implementation of some sort of digital Citizenship will be necessary.

    The scenario that stuck in my head was the one about the principal who had the alternative Twitter account. I feel like it would cause too much controversy having that power and knowledge of what students are doing without the proper authority to do anything about it. I don't think I would ever do that. If I did, for some reason, see a tweet of a student's that was deemed questionable, I think I would be honest with the student, if they're my student, and say that I saw it and what I think. I'd do my best to make it a teachable moment. Creating teachable moments create more of an impact on the students in the long run especially because students already know what they should and shouldn't do. If you can give them information to take care of themselves and their peers in the future, then I feel like that is handling those situations the best one can.

    ReplyDelete