Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Digital Citizenship



Technology is increasingly become popular within society. Technology is a great resource and offers many great, new opportunities for students. While technology is great, we must educate our students on what it means to be a good “digital citizen.” Before reading these articles, I had never thought a lot about digital etiquette, however, after reading them, it is apparent to me that guidelines for students must be set. Since technology is growing so much, we as teachers must embrace it. We must grow with the students and along the way, we must be ready to adapt to all the changes within our technologically savvy society.

If I were to write a personal digital citizenship statement, it would be in two parts. The first statement would cover digital etiquette. My statement would be:
“Approach social media and the internet in the same manner you would approach your grandparents or parents, respectfully and consciously. Before tweeting, writing a facebook post or blogging, ask yourself “would my parents or grandparents approve of this statement?” It’s easy to get wrapped up in social media and easy to get emotionally involved. If kids take a minute before they post and think about their comments, they will be more likely to refrain from posting hurtful or negative things.

The second part of my digital statement would address plagiarism and copyright. My statement for this would be:
“Give credit where credit is due, especially on the internet.” It’s very important to teach kids about plagiarism and copyright rules. It’s so easy to get caught up in getting a report done and just to copy and paste. We as educators must be adamant about siting our sources. If you didn’t write it, you can’t take credit for it. 

The internet has such great resources and we should use them as much as we can, but we must make teaching kids about safety, etiquette and plagiarism a priority.

I used a few different articles listed. I especially liked the “9 Resources of Teaching Digital Citzenship,” as well as the “Copyright & Fair Use Guidelines for Teachers.” I thought both of those articles simplified some good rules for the digital world. I think as teachers it is most definitely our job to incorporate lessons on digital citizenship. These students will be using technology their entire lives and I imagine that the use will only continue to grow in the future, so teaching them how to act appropriately on line is crucial. It is also important that they understand the consequences of the things they do  online, such as cyberbullying, plagiarism, etc. I will help my students by going over the rules of digital citizenship whenever we are using computers or some type of technology.

1 comment:

  1. After our class discussion, I would keep my digital statement, however, I would add some things to it. The first thing I would add is that students must be aware that what they post on the internet is public knowledge. They may have privacy settings and such, but once you post something on the internet, it can be retrieved. They need to be conscious of things they are posting and that ultimately it can affect them in the future. They also need to be aware that if I, or an authoritative figure sees something they post that is troubling or inappropriate, it is our duty to report it. The other thing I would add to it is that while the internet is full of great, useful information, there are a lot of things on the internet that are not necessarily true, or stretched. It is important to explain to students that there is faulty, untrue information on the internet and that they must use their own knowledge to determine if something is relevant or true. Like I said before, people can post anything to the internet so just because you "read it on the internet" does not make it true!

    ReplyDelete